Vice Provost White writes in the areas of Property and Law & Development, both through the lens of social psychology and behavioral economics. Recently, his work has focused on homeowner behavior in the United States in the wake of the housing crisis. His work has been widely cited by academics, and in the media, including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, NPR and 60 Minutes. He has also written significant articles in the area of law and development, including empirical work examining the failure of judicial reform due to "project capture." His current research project explores the role of urban spatial environments in shaping positive or negative rule of law cultures. His teaching line-up includes Property, Law & Development, Civil Procedure, and Mediation. He has also taught International Litigation, Japanese Law, and Legislation and Regulation. He directs Arizona's Advanced JD Program for non-U.S. lawyers and the Global Law Partnership Program.
SSRN Published Papers
- Urban Decay, Austerity, and the Rule of Law, 64 Emory L.J. 1 (2014) (co-author, with Simone M. Sepe & Saura Masconale).
- Preventing Strategic Default: Lesons from Japan, 29 Ariz. J. Int'l & Comp. L. 235 (2012).
- Walking Away Scot-Free: Trust, Expert Advice, and Realtor Responsibility, 40 Real Estate L.J. 312 (2011).
- Underwater Home (2010).
- Take this House and Shove It: The Emotional Drivers of Strategic Default, 63 SMU L. Rev. 1279 (2010).
- The Morality of Strategic Default, 58 UCLA L. Rev. Discourse 155 (2010). https://www.uclalawreview.org/the-morality-of-strategic-default/
- Underwater and Not Walking Away: Shame, Fear and the Social Management of the Housing Crisis, 45 Wake Forest L. Rev. 971 (2010). http://ssrn.com/abstract=1494467
- Putting Aside the Rule of Law Myth: Corruption and the Case for Juries in Emerging Democracies, 43 Cornell Int'l L.J. 307 (2010).
- Rotten to the Core: Project Capture and the Failure of Judicial Reform in Mongolia, 4 East Asia L. Rev. 209 (2009).
- Saving Face: The Benefits of Not Saying I'm Sorry, 72 Law & Contemp. Probs. 261 (2009).
- Ritual, Emotion, and Political Belief: The Search for the Constitutional Limit to Patriotic Education in Public Schools, 44 Ga. L. Rev. 447 (2009).
- Say You're Sorry: Court-Ordered Apologies as a Civil Rights Remedy, 91 Cornell L. Rev. 1261 (2006).
- Complete List of Publications
J.D. New York University School of Law
Graduated magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Root-Tilden-Snow Scholar; Staff Editor, Annual Survey of American Law
B.A. Duke University
Graduated magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa