Professor of Law
- Room Number: 217
Derek Bambauer is a Professor of Law at the University of Arizona, where he teaches Internet law and intellectual property. His research treats Internet censorship, cybersecurity, and intellectual property. He has also written technical articles on data recovery and fault tolerance, and on deployment of software upgrades. A former principal systems engineer at Lotus Development Corp. (part of IBM), Professor Bambauer spent two years as a Research Fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School. At the Berkman Center, he was a member of the OpenNet Initiative, an academic consortium that tests and studies Internet censorship in countries such as China, Iran, and Vietnam. At the College of Law, Bambauer is the co-founder of the Intellectual Property & Entrepreneurship Clinic.
- Tea and Donuts, 107 Minnesota Law Review (forthcoming 2022) (co-author with Robert W. Woods)
- Cybersecurity: An Interdisciplinary Problem (2021) (co-author with Justin Hurwitz, David Thaw & Charlotte Tschider)
- Cybersecurity for Idiots. 106 Minnesota Law Review Headnotes (2021)
- Worse than Human? 53 Arizona State Law Journal (co-author with Michael Risch) (2022)
- Paths or Fences: Patents, Copyrights, and the Constitution, 104 Iowa L. Rev. 1017 (2019).
- Reviewed by Michael Risch, Statute v. Constitution as IP Limiting Doctrine, WRITTEN DESCRIPTION, at https://writtendescription.blogspot.com/2018/04/statute-v-constitution-a... (Apr. 10, 2018).
- Information Libertarianism, 105 Cal. L. Rev. 335 (2017), (co-author with Jane R. Bambauer).
- Personal Jurisdiction and the "Interwebs", 100 Cornell L. Rev. 1129 (2015) (co-author with Alan M. Trammell).
- Against Jawboning, 100 Minn. L. Rev. 51 (2015).
- Schrödinger's Cybersecurity, 48 UC Davis L. Rev. 791 (2015).
- Ghost in the Network, 162 U. Pa. L. Rev. 1011 (2014).
- Exposed, 98 Minn. L. Rev. 2025 (2014).
- Orwell's Armchair, 79 U. Chi. L. Rev. 863 (2012).
- Complete List of Publications
J.D. Harvard Law School2004
B.A. Harvard College1996
Admitted to Practice
Professor of LawJames E. Rogers College of Law2013 - present
Associate Professor of LawJames E. Rogers College of Law2012 - 2013
Associate Professor of LawBrooklyn Law School2010 - 2012
Assistant Professor of LawBrooklyn Law School2008 - 2010
Assistant Professor of LawWayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan2006 - 2008
Research FellowBerkman Center for Internet & Society, Harvard Law School2004 - 2006
Senior User Assistance Writer (1996 - 2000) & Principal Systems Engineer (2000 - 2001)Lotus Development Corp. (IBM), Cambridge, Massachusetts1996 - 2001