Prof. Anaya, UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, released a statement on May 4, 2012, at the conclusion of his first official visit to the United States. The statement can be found here and the UN Press Release here.
Media reports on Prof. Anaya’s statement:
- NEW: Democracy Now! interview, UN Probe: U.S. Should Return Stolen Sacred Land, Including Mt. Rushmore, to Native Americans, May 11, 2012;
- Indian Country Today, UN Official’s Comments on Indian Land Restoration Create Stir Around the Globe, May 8, 2012;
- Reuters, U.S. must heal native peoples’ wounds, return lands: U.N., May 4, 2012;
- BBC News, UN official calls for US return of native land, May 4, 2012;
- The Guardian, US should return stolen land to Indian tribes, says United Nations, May 4, 2012;
- The Washington Post, UN fact finder on indigenous rights to recommend land restoration for some Native Americans, May 4, 2012.