Shefali Milczarek-Desai is an attorney, speaker, and author who integrates her experiences in the areas of litigation, employment, asylum, and immigration law with her passion for education, outreach, and public service. In addition to supervising, teaching, and mentoring students on worker’s rights cases, Shefali litigates and advocates on behalf of gender-based asylum claimants and conducts research and writing on sanctuary city matters for the benefit of state and local officials. Prior to becoming Director of the Worker’s Rights Clinic, Shefali assisted in litigating Flores v. Arizona, a U.S. Supreme Court case concerning the rights of Arizona’s English Language Learner students, practiced at the DeConcini McDonald law firm where she was elected shareholder, and clerked for Vice-Chief Justice Ruth V. McGregor at the Arizona Supreme Court. Shefali is a Rhodes Scholarship Finalist, a Notre Dame Law School Feminist Jurisprudence award winner, and has authored numerous, widely-published articles and essays as well as a book-length manuscript that was selected as a finalist in an international competition.
- Constitutional Cities, Ms. Magazine Blog, (Aug. 25, 2017), http://msmagazine.com/blog/2017/08/25/constitutional-cities/.
- (Re)Locating Other/Third World Women: An Alternative Approach to Santa Clara Pueblo v. Martinez's Construction of Gender, Culture and Identity, 13 UCLA Women's L.J. 235 (2004).
- Hearing Afghan Women's Voices: Feminist Theory’s Re-Conceptualization of Women's Human Rights, 16 Ariz. J. Int'l & Comp. L. 805 (1999).
- Complete List of Publications
- J.D. James E. Rogers College of Law
- M.A University of Arizona Women's Studies
Created and was first graduate of JD/MA Women’s Studies joint-degree program
- B.A. Whittier College
Graduated summa cum laude
- Director, Worker’s Rights Clinic
James E. Rogers College of Law
2018 - present
- Attorney, Speaker, Author
Employment Law, Immigration and Asylum Law, Tucson, Arizona
2010 - present
Arizona Risk Retention Trust, Tucson, Arizona
2008 - 2009
DeConcini McDonald Yetwin & Lacy PC, Tucson, Arizona
2002 - 2008
- Law Clerk
Hon. Ruth V. McGregor, Arizona Supreme Court, Phoenix, Arizona
2001 - 2002