Student Loans

The U.S. Department of Education processes the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and calculates an Estimated Family Contribution from income and asset information provided by the student. The results are transmitted electronically to all schools whose codes were listed by the student on the FAFSA.


If you are a first-time borrower of Federal Stafford Loans OR previously borrowed Federal Stafford loans and paid them in full, OR if you are borrowing GradPlus loans (regardless of if you have previously borrowed GradPlus loans), you MUST complete an online Entrance Counseling Session before you can receive loan funds. 


Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan 

Loans borrowed through the Stafford unsubsidized loan program are not based upon need, but in combination with the other aid, cannot exceed the student’s budget. Stafford unsubsidized loans accrue simple interest, which is capitalized onto the principal at the time of repayment. The interest rate varies around 6%, rates and fees are determined by the U.S. Department of Education. The amount borrowed through the Stafford unsubsidized program may not exceed $20,500 per year. Visit the Federal Direct Loans page on the university’s financial aid website for more information.

Graduate Plus Loan

If a balance remains after the federal loans and all other aid have been deducted from the budget, the student is eligible to apply for a Graduate Plus loan program to cover the remaining balance only. The Graduate Plus Loan is based upon personal credit history. The interest rate varies around 7%, rates and fees are determined by the U.S. Department of Education. Visit the Graduate Plus Loans page on the university's financial aid website for more information.

Exit Counseling

If you have borrowed federal funds, you MUST complete loan exit counseling prior to graduating, leaving school or going below half-time. Loan exit counseling will explain your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. It will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Please note that you will need the PIN number you received from the Department of Education to begin your exit counseling. Visit the Exit Counseling page of the Federal Student Aid website to begin your exit counseling session. 

Additional Resources

More Information

Key Contact

Keyshia Conner
Associate Director of Financial Aid & Scholarships