University of Arizona Law’s Master of Legal Studies (MLS) is a one-year degree program pursued on a full-time or part-time basis. The MLS is designed to enhance the effectiveness of a broad spectrum of professionals whose work involves regulations, negotiations, or working with lawyers or legal issues.
If you find yourself needing a better foundation for working with and understanding laws and regulations, or wish to improve your career prospects by obtaining legal and critical thinking skills, the MLS may be just the right fit.
The MLS Program allows professionals to:
- Gain both general and specialized knowledge of the U.S. legal system specific to their areas of interest;
- Learn the process of legal analysis by examining cases, laws, and regulations related to their specific interests;
- Further their ability to think and communicate critically about legal issues that affect a broad spectrum of career fields;
- Gain familiarity with contemporary legal issues facing the U.S. and the world;
- Learn the practical and theoretical implications of the law and legal process as it affects their area of interest;
- Conduct legal and interdisciplinary research relevant to their area of interest;
- Develop skills to communicate in writing and orally about such issues; and
- Think critically about solutions to issues in a variety of fields that take into account legal and interdisciplinary factors.
Tuition & Costs
More opportunity. Lower cost. That’s what you get with the University of Arizona Master of Legal Studies degree.
We keep our tuition as affordable as possible so that you can focus more on your education and career. In fact, our MLS Online tuition is less than half the average MLS tuition at other top-50 law schools. And additional fees are a fraction of what students are required to pay at most other schools.
Most importantly, our low cost still comes with the high-quality academic experience, diverse programming and coursework, renowned faculty, and huge variety of concentrations and certificates you want. In other words, the University of Arizona offers one of the best and most accessible MLS programs in the nation.
Pick Your Concentration
We offer many established concentrations or can work with you to create a custom plan, drawn from our wide range of law courses and graduate courses across the university.
Boost Your Career
The MLS can expand your options in your current career or help transition you into a new field. Our graduates are employed across sectors and in a wide variety of positions, from insurance to law enforcement to corporate compliance.
Online on Your Time
The MLS is available fully online on a part-time or full-time track. Earn the same outstanding degree in a flexible and convenient format, perfect for working professionals.
“[Having the degree] enriches my ability to inform the public about the government and those who run it or make decisions about policy. I also hope that it will make me a more competitive candidate for any jobs I seek in the future.”
-Andrea Kelly ('16), News Director, Arizona Public Media