Dear College of Law Students, Staff, and Faculty,
Provost Folks just shared with us that the University of Arizona will have a staged start to the fall semester, beginning with Stage 1 on August 17. Stage 1 is fully online, with the exception of “Essential In-person” courses, such as labs, performances, and some experiential learning.
For the College of Law, this means:
- The vast majority of classes will be fully online (with synchronous/live and asynchronous/not-live options) with no in-person (on campus) components when we begin on August 17.
- Per Provost Folks’s communication:
- the duration of this fully online Stage 1 has not yet been established, and
- the decision to move to Stage 2 will be guided by the epidemiology of COVID-19 in our area.
- The College has determined that all of our clinics and externships will be designated as “Essential In-Person” courses for purposes of Stage 1. This means that the director of each clinic and externship will have the option of holding in-person elements, e.g., client meetings or court proceedings, during Stage 1.
- Each clinic director and each externship host will discuss the in-person elements with enrolled students.
- “Essential In-Person” Stage 1 courses will comply with the directives and guidelines in the College of Law’s New Safe Return Plan.
- For our incoming 1L students: all of your classes will be fully online during Stage 1.
We know this may introduce new questions and uncertainties, but ultimately we hope this leads to a safer semester. The Provost will be communicating details of this staged launch plan directly with students very soon; and we will continue to provide updates to the entire College of Law community as details unfold.
We will send out a separate New Safe Return weekly report with the revised College of Law NSR Plan, and the weekly report from public health professor Joe Gerald.
In the meantime, please continue sharing your questions and comments through our virtual suggestion box for Students and for Faculty and Staff. If you leave your name and contact information and indicate that you would like a response, we will respond to you as soon as possible. You are welcome to email any member of the New Safe Return Committee as well.
Marc, Bernadette, and Teresa
on behalf of the New Safe Return Committee